These days, business reviews are sought after sources of information especially for buyers of online businesses such as the shops on ETSY, the e-commerce website for handmade or vintage items, craft supplies and tools.
The five stars in the reviews not only make your Etsy shop look good, they greatly influence the decisions of potential customers.
Why reviews on ETSY are important?
Here are some of the reasons why reviews on Etsy are important:
1. Reviews influence buyers’ decision
Even if the items in an ETSY shop are well made and of high quality, the photos and descriptions are not enough to guarantee satisfactory sales. The business needs consumer reviews. According to surveys, most shoppers these days would only consider buying an item for the first time after reading a number of positive reviews.
2. Reviews help increase sales
Reviews can help increase sales because shoppers trust the reviews that share the other buyers’ experiences with a certain shop and/or product more than the marketing ads.
3. Reviews help build a shop’s credibility
Buyers want to be sure that they get their money’s worth and a good experience when they choose to buy from a shop. That’s why it’s not easy to make a first sale because buyers have no basis whether to believe what a business claims or not.
The positive reviews help make potential buyers feel safe enough to place their orders. Then, they have peace of mind while waiting for the delivery because the reviews show that they are buying from a shop with credibility.
4. Reviews help businesses improve
Reviews also tell business owners what their customers need. Knowing their shortcomings help business owners improve at what they do and consequently grow the business.
How to Get More Reviews on ETSY?
Following are ways some of the basic ways to get more reviews on Etsy
1. Provide a Great Product and Experience
For buyers, a product is great if it fulfills the purpose, for which it was purchased, is reasonably priced, and is of acceptable quality and durability.
Package the product so that it is fully protected from any possible damage until it is received by the customer.
Provide your customers with a great experience by shipping the product on time for the committed delivery date. Some freebies with the delivery would be a pleasant surprise to the receiver.
Update the customer as soon as you ship the product. Then, check if they received the product on the expected delivery date.
Create and post a quality control checklist in your packaging area to ensure the consistent quality of the product before shipping.
2. Provide Clear Descriptions and Photos
Product descriptions work hand-in-hand with clear photos to provide potential buyers with information about the product. A clear photo should show the shape and overall appearance of the product from different angles while the description should tell the size, what it does, the materials used, the care instructions, and other relevant information.
It is important that the product should look exactly like the photos and what is stated in the written description.
3. Ask Customers to Leave a Review
You can ask for reviews through your message to buyers to confirm the order, the Review Card that goes with the package for shipment, and the follow-up email.
• The Message to Buyers: The Message to Buyers is a short note that you can send with the Etsy order confirmation email after the buyers complete their orders. You can use the message to buyers to thank the customers for their purchases and to provide relevant information about the shipment of their orders. You can also use the message to buyers to encourage guest buyers to create an Etsy account so that they can leave their reviews. Guests can purchase without having set up an Etsy account but they can’t leave reviews.
• Review Card: Include a “Review Card” in the package for shipment. Inform the customer about the “Review Card” in the shipment confirmation email that is sent to buyers after the package has been shipped. If the customer is a new ETSY buyer, include instructions on how they can leave Etsy reviews.
The Review Card is necessary because Etsy does not permit shop owners to send messages just to ask for reviews.
• Follow-up Email: When you send a Follow-Up Email after the expected delivery date to check if the product has arrived, you can ask the customer if there is any problem and if they can leave a review. If you included a Review Card, you can add a reminder about it in the follow-up email.
4. Immediately Reply To All Reviews and Questions from Customers
Immediate and satisfactory responses to customer’s questions about the product are important factors in great customer service. Thank your customers who leave positive reviews as well as potential buyers who ask questions for their interest on the product.
Read carefully and understand bad reviews. If they violate Etsy’s policies, report them. Etsy will remove reviews that are verified to be non-compliant with their policies.
However, if the negative review is valid, you have to reach out to the reviewer, discuss the issue and decide whether you should replace the item, fully or partially refund the customer’s payment or give a discount coupon for the next purchase. Hopefully, they would be happy with how you dealt with the issue. Some satisfied customers may remove their reviews or write about the way you satisfactorily handled their complaints.
More positive reviews for a product or business are social proof that you have a great product and you’re a reliable company, which translates to more sales.
However, use negative reviews to learn more about your customers and how you can improve the business.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why are reviews on Etsy important for my shop?
A: Reviews on Etsy are crucial as they influence potential buyers’ decisions, build credibility for your shop, and provide valuable insights for business improvement. Positive reviews enhance the overall reputation of your shop and encourage trust among customers.
How do reviews on Etsy influence buyers’ decisions?
A: Studies show that most shoppers consider buying from a shop after reading positive reviews. While quality products and appealing descriptions are essential, consumer reviews provide real-life experiences, influencing first-time buyers to make more confident purchasing decisions.
Can reviews on Etsy help increase sales?
A: Yes, reviews play a significant role in boosting sales. Shoppers tend to trust the experiences shared by other buyers more than traditional marketing. Positive reviews create a sense of security for potential customers, making them more likely to place orders with confidence.
How can I encourage customers to leave reviews on Etsy?
A: You can ask customers to leave reviews through various channels:
- Utilize the “Message to Buyers” feature in the Etsy order confirmation email.
- Include a “Review Card” in the package for shipment with instructions.
- Send a Follow-Up Email after the expected delivery date, politely asking for a review and mentioning the Review Card.
What should I do if I receive a negative review on Etsy?
A: Address negative reviews promptly and professionally. Understand the concerns raised and, if valid, reach out to the reviewer to discuss resolutions such as replacements, refunds, or discounts. Etsy allows the reporting of reviews that violate policies, ensuring a fair and accurate representation of your shop.